Stepping Stones Academy
103 Brink Street
Lawrenceburg, TN 38464
Nikki James (Teacher)
Katelyn Parish (Social Worker)
Christi Robbins (Paraprofessional)
“Remember that all success is based on long-term commitment, faith, discipline,
attitude, and a few stepping stones along the way.”
At Stepping Stones Academy, we desire to provide high quality research based services for our students. We want to create an individualized environment where students can develop self-awareness and self-discipline. Our job is to challenge students academically and personally so
that are equipped with the tools needed to successfully return to their home school.
Stepping Stones School Day
7:30 - 2:30
Arrival: Enter double glass door on Brink Street porch near Mahr Avenue.
Tardy: Students must arrive before 8AM
Bus Pickup: 2:20PM
Parent Pickup: 2:30PM
Bus transportation is provided for students at Stepping Stones Academy. The use of Lawrence County bus transportation is a privilege and students are expected to abide by the bus rules.
1st Violation of Bus Rules: 1 Day Suspension
2nd Violation of Bus Rules: 2 Day Suspension
3rd Violation of Bus Rules: 3 Day Suspension (parent transportation meeting)
4th Violation of Bus Rules: 5 Day Suspension
5th Violation of Bus Rules: Semester Suspension
Each student is expected to be clean and freshly bathed.
Students will not bring backpacks to Stepping Stones.
Students will be provided 5 Stepping Stones Academy uniform t-shirts.
○ These will be the only shirts students will be permitted to wear.
○ Shirts must be tucked in completely at all times and sleeves may not be rolled up.
○ The shirts must be returned when the student leaves our school. A $6.00 charge will be assessed for torn/stained shirts.
○ In cold weather, students may wear a plain (no design or logo can show) long sleeve tee-shirt or turtleneck under the regular tee-shirt.
Tennis shoes that must be worn daily.
Students are required to wear jeans or slacks that fit and are free of holes, tears, or frays.
○ No sweat/jogger pants or athletic/yoga pants
Belts must be worn with any pants or jeans that have belt loops. Belts must fall within these guidelines:
○ No ornaments (studs, etc.)
○ No hanging belt ends.
○ No oversized buckles.
Hooded Jackets and overcoats may NOT be worn in the classroom. These will be hung up till dismissal.
Appropriate under clothing must be worn at all times.
Hair must be above the eyebrows on the forehead.
No makeup may be worn.
Fingernails must be short and clean.
Nametags will be provided and worn daily.
If a student is NOT in compliance with dress code:
○ First offense will be a warning and parent notified.
○ Second offense will lead to parent notification to bring clothing.
Stud earring are acceptable. No body piercings, jewelry, or watches are to be worn at school. No sunglasses, bandanas, or hats.
○ First offense will be a warning and item kept till end of day.
○ Second offense, item will be kept till the student leaves our program.
Students will be expected to exhibit good manners at all times. Stepping Stones curriculum will include teaching personal skills and manners that will help students be successful in life.
Tardiness and Absenteeism
All LCSS Attendance Policies will be followed.
Only a parent, guardian or prior approved adult will be allowed to sign a student out of school.
○ When professional appointments (medical or legal) are necessary and cannot be made outside of school hours, an excuse note from the provider will be required in order for the absence to be excused.
In addition to all LCSS policies and procedures, students must abide by the following:
● Toys, electronic devices, and cell phones are PROHIBITED
● Students will be subject to daily searches. Students should NOT bring any item that could be used as a weapon.
○ Should inappropriate items be found, parents, and, when necessary, legal authorities will be notified.
■ First offense- non-illegal item will be held till the end of the day.
■ Second offense- non-illegal item will be held until student leaves the program.
● Parents, social workers and designated court workers are always welcome at Stepping Stones Academy. All visitors must sign in and present ID at the entrance located between the JC Barnett Center and the Central Office. If possible, please call and make appointments with the staff before the visit.
● Students will not be allowed to use the phone except in the event of an emergency. A staff member will make that call for the student. Appointments, scheduling of rides and personal business are not considered emergencies. Any of those things that would require a phone call should be worked out before coming to school. If you need to get in touch with Stepping Stones Academy staff, please call 762-5251 ext. 208.
● Lunch is provided daily. Students may bring lunch from home in a lunchbox.
● Students should bring no more than $2.00 to school each day.
● Students may bring unflavored water to class to drink throughout the day. Beverages must be brought in sealed, unopened containers. All beverages must be opened in front of staff and consumed in the classroom. If a beverage is deemed suspicious by the staff, it will be discarded.They may bring an additional snack in the original unopened package as long as they clean up any crumbs or wrappers. If a student fails to clean up their crumbs or wrappers,
they will lose their snack privileges.
● A parent/guardian must bring any medication the student needs to the school in accordance with the county policy. Students may not transport medications to or from school. Specific doctor’s orders must accompany all medications. Once the proper forms are filled out, medications must be in their original container and will be counted and signed for by both staff and parent upon arrival. Parents are totally responsible for refilling medications; it will not be the staff’s responsibility.
● Students will help maintain the school environment, preserve school property, and exercise care while using the school facilities. Students who destroy, damage, or lose school property will be held responsible for the cost of repairing or replacing the lost or damaged materials or equipment.
● Students will take care of the computers. While using the internet, only appropriate, school related sites may be accessed.
Our Classroom Policies/Procedures
Our dedicated staff consist of a counselor, teacher, and educational assistant with specialization in addressing behavioral needs. Our staff will provide curriculum,counseling, and additional resources to address critical skills for success socially, emotionally, and academically.
We have chosen to implement SOAR as part of our Classroom Behavior Plan.
S = Safe Behavior
(Stay in designated area, keep body under control, transition appropriately)
O = On Task Behavior
(Actively participate, make an effort, complete class work)
A = Act Responsibly
(Follow directions first time asked, keep area clean, follow dress code)
R = Respect All
(Speak with good purpose, listen when others speak, use materials appropriately)
Stepping Stone’s staff focuses upon finding the positive and rewarding it! Stickers will be given for EXCEPTIONAL BEHAVIOR throughout the day.
Daily: 3 Stickers = Candy at end of the day
Weekly: 10 Stickers = Surprise on Friday
Class goal: 50 stickers =Surprise on Friday
Each child will have an individual behavior plan with positive consequences embedded in the action steps.
Based on the behavior needs of each student, consequences will reset daily or weekly. The following consequences may be used:
● Loss of recess
● Silent Lunch
● Loss of privilege stated in behavior plan.
Extreme offenses (i.e. hands on someone else) will result in 3 days silent lunch, loss of recess, and parent contacted.
Outbursts are considered an extreme offense. These will be addressed on an individual student basis.
SSA staff may assign consequences for negative behavior as needed.
Check In/Check Out Process
As we are a behavioral change program, we look at overall behaviors to determine an appropriate time for a student to return to their home school. Each child’s family will be extensively involved in the entire process. We use a daily check-in/check-out procedure to rank each section of our student’s
day. Students must receive 85% on target behavior prior to returning to his/her home school. The 85% goal requirement along with parents and staff discussions will lead to the final transitioning decision.
Behavior reports, completed/incomplete academic work, and homework assignments will be sent home on Thursday nights. Items that need to be signed or completed will be identified in the student’s folder. Papers that are to be kept at home will also be marked.
Stepping Stones Parent/Student Contract
Parent Contract for Admission to Stepping Stones Academy
I, ________________________, agree with the policies and procedures in the Stepping Stones Handbook and the contract my child,
___________________, signed for entrance into Stepping Stones Academy. I will support the school, staff, and my child while attending Stepping Stones Academy by:
● Ensuring my child abides by policies and procedures in place at Stepping Stones Academy.
● Maintaining regular communication with school to see how my child is doing in the Stepping Stones Program.
● Making sure my child is not tardy or absent without due cause.
● Being responsible to notify the school when my child will be tardy or absent.
● Signing and returning document in the Thursday folder.
Student Contract for Admission to Stepping Stones Academy
I, ___________________, agree to abide and adhere to the policies and procedures in the Stepping Stones Academy handbook and the
following clauses to gain admission to this program.
● I will obey all rules, policies and procedures or be prepared to accept the consequence of my actions.
● I will dress according to school policy without being reminded.
● I will show respect to all staff members and visitors to our school.
● I will show respect to all students at our school
● I will come prepared to work and learn every day.
● I will cooperate and seek to meet to my educational ability.
● I will avoid activities that will place myself or others in danger.